Things I'm cooking while I'm not at work cooking.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Tonight On the Menu

Crab Cakes

with

Pineapple Scallion Rice

drizzled with

Patron Silver Tequila Lime Dressing


My first official fancy dinner, pre culinary school was delicious. I do love to make crab cakes, and they are so very easy. Preparation was so effortless and quick that I did the dishes, put together the sofa end tables, and watched a little cable before my guest of honor arrived.

Instead of using bread crumbs I substituted Japanese panko crumbs. I know this may not be so terribly gourmet, but the end product was lighter, and had a crunchier texture. Next time I will add crushed pineapple to the crabcake mixture. I think that's what will make them truly unforgettable.

I do believe my presentation skills will improve greatly once I have taken that class. For now I have to rely on the oversized plates I hand painted six years ago. I wanted to stack everything in tower of sorts, but then I thought perhaps I should have gotten frissee, or endive, instead of the mystery roughage pictured here.

Here they are. My browning beauties. Tanning nicely in the broiling Florida oven. Oh how I already miss my gas stove in Astoria, but soon enough I will be basking in the fiery glow of culinary school glory, and all that Le Cordon Bleu Orlando has to offer... I am so excited.

Dinner was served, and scarffed down in a matter of minutes. I of course was thinking of little things here and there that would make it all so so much better, I am my worst critic, well except for that food critic guy in Denver, who used the Exxon Valdez oil catasrophe, and the Dead Sea to describe a couple of items on the menu of a restaurant I used to work at. He was a fool. But a talented word smith of a fool none the less.

Well that's all folks. Time to enjoy some wine, and think about tomorrows menu. Ciao!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home