Things I'm cooking while I'm not at work cooking.

Monday, January 17, 2011

I love salsa!
I currently have 3 different kinds of salsa in my fridge.
I have a bag of tortilla chips still in the seal a meal from the other night on my counter. I bought avocados at Publix the other day, even though they were rock hard, because they were on sale...4 for 5 bucks (that's a deal).
So, what am I going to make for dinner?
As I start to peruse my Mexican/Spanish cookbook section, I quickly decide tonight I am going to wing it.
Stuffed Poblanos with Saffron Rice and
Salsa!

For the rice:

white rice

zest of one lime and one orange

diced red and green bell peppers

chopped cilantro

pinch of saffron

salt and pepper

Put all ingredients together add water and cook.

For the stuffed peppers:

poblanos charred peeled and seeded

shredded chicken (I poached a couple of breasts in garlic oil with chicken stock, lime and orange zest, and salt and pepper, in the oven on 350 for about 45 minutes)

black beans

corn

queso fresco

tooth picks

Mix a handful of chicken, beans, corn, and queso fresco in a bowl, and stuff into poblano. My poblanos split all the open, so I used toothpicks to hold them together. Right before serving, put on sheet tray and warm in 350 oven for about 8 minutes.

For the salsa:

I used a portion of my homemade salsa, and some of the super hot salsa a friend sent me from Texas for Christmas, and I put them in my Vita Mix and pureed the heck out of it. A suitable alternative would be your favorite store bought salsa, mine is Arrabiata, you can get it at Publix, it is by far the best store bought salsa that I have ever had, and more often then not I will spent 5 bucks on the jar, rather than make my own. And as a side note...I use the empty jars as drinking glasses, and for spice storage!

Plate it all up, slice up and avocado, top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home